Thursday, May 1, 2014

taking off and staying put

Bonsai, mini "plant buddy"(left) and Maurice, from the "small owl" section of the shop

























Guess who is taking off to Houston before the week ends? These two. Together! I couldn't have picked a better pair myself. They really do compliment each other, don't they? I'm not sure if they were purchased with the intention of being forever pals, but I'd like to think so. Bonsai reminds me of an old tree that resides deep in the woods, hence his name. I don't know why Maurice ended up with that name, but I love how the use of zippers translated into the clay, mixed with the black stain and translucent green glaze.

And Sunday I get to start making more owls!

I have plans to create more wall hangings and perhaps venture into creating more totems like these:
Mini owl, Bentley, where owl meets ocean

























Bentley was a commission that grew out of a listing photo. I had lots of old starfish & shells from my life on Cape Cod (and an L.L. Bean coastal Christmas wreath from my parents) and decided to have fun balancing Bentley upon a conical shell, which, in turn was balanced upon a starfish. Other mini owls had been photographed balancing on mandarin oranges. It keeps things interesting for me.

Bentley's listing photo (left) that inspired the above totem, Ochre (right), gifted to an undoubtedly deserving teacher.



















Bentley will be staying in Colorado, gifted to a mother of a friend, a lover of beaches and owls. Until the next firing, friends. I can hardly wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment